My Naked Conversation (confession of a Filipino OFW)

An extensive medical examination is required for OFWs. So a few weeks before I left the Philippines I found myself in a crowded medical clinic going through the series of steps for physical, psychological, and drug testing. I was there patiently lining up in different stations and enjoying the conversations among OFWs who are mostly seamen, entertainers, and domestic workers. Here are the kinds of questions I got... "pare, saan byahe mo ngayon? pampasehero ka ba o sa cargo?," or "nakailang amo ka na?" or "ano ang mga kinakanta o sinasayaw mo?"

My arrogant mind would say..."do I look like a seaman? a DH? or hosto?" But of course I would just smile and say "pang walong Japan ko na nga eto e. Nakakapagod sumayaw sa gabi..."
When I finally got to the physical examination room, I was met by a 50ish lady doctor who looks like my old maid highschool music teacher! In a very cold and straight tone she said "sige maghubad ka na". I stood about a meter away from her and I slowly removed my shirt and my pants and then I stood there only in my briefs. (Buti na lang hindi "bacon" o loose thread o butas-butas ang brief ko, haha). While I was stripping down, she was going through my files. I was standing there uncomfortably for a while then she looked up and said "pati yung brief mo, tanggalin mo rin." I slowly dropped my briefs, stood up and waited for her next instructions. At that point, she came to the part of my files where she saw that I had a PhD in Psychology. She looked up and said "wooow psychologist ka pala! Alam mo, frustration ko talaga yan kasi nung college ako....kaya mo bang hulaan kung ano ang nasaisip ko?...." And she kept on talking and talking for what seemed to me like 5 very long minutes. She was making conversations as if I wasn't standing there naked in front of her! (aaaaa.... excuse me, haven't you noticed how awkward it is for me standing here naked in front of you?). I was tempted to interrupt her and say "pede kapkapan mo na ako para matapos na eto???"

After my ordeal, I didn't know if I should feel harrassed or amused -- oh well, so that's how it feels to have a "naked" conversation with my old-maid highschool music teacher!

No comments: