Beer Over Classical Music (My Salzburg Diaries)

It was almost four in the afternoon but when I got out in the street, I can't see anybody walking around. It was literally like a ghost city with a car or two passing by every few minutes. Is this Salzburg or am I in the twighlight zone? (tuninuninuninuuuuuuuu).

Apparently my hostel was in the modern side of the city where people seem to be always asleep or they're just not there. From behind the old buidlings, I could see the commanding presence of a fortress perched on a hill. And when I checked out my map, it's telling me that that's where I should be headed because that's where the action is.

After walking two blocks, a bustling side of the town slowly unfolded... aahh Salzburg it is. The fresh mountain air was perfect for the ornate architecture but what struck me most was the hegemony of "Mozart" and "The Sound of Music." My senses was suddenly filled with visuals and sounds that bombarded me with the spirit of this musician and this classic movie. Pictures, posters, figurines, banners, pockets of PA systems airing Mozart's music, video displyas looping The Sound of Music...

After crossing the bridge, I found myself in the city's compact center which straddles the Salzach River. The tight-knit network of alleys and squares reminded me of the opening scene of Beauty and the Beast where Belle was walking across the town. The atmosphere was very festive and I liked the blend of modernity and the conscious effort to preserve the old century culture. The streets were lined with musicians playing classical music. It was normal to see people fully dressed up in tux or long gowns apparently walking around prior to going into a concert event which is essentially all over the place. Some of them are in horse carraiges or in bikes! (I can't imagine this scene in Manila with glamarous ladies in flowing gowns but riding a bike).

After going through a maze of alleys I reached the foot of the fortress hill. A cablerail took me up to the Hohensalzburg Fortress. After going around a bit into the museums and courtyards, I finally settled into one of the towers and set up my tripod and camera just in time for the sunset.

I enjoyed a few numbers of a violin and flute recital in one of the fortress' hall before I went down back to the city center. I settled in one of the squares where a huge screen was publicly showing one of Mozart's opera. This was a perfect night I thought. I drank a few rounds of beer (yes Stiegel) and enjoyed the swirl of sensation that combines the cool mountain air, the classical music, and the relaxed people all around me. My night in the square was capped with my most favorite work of Mozart -- Requiem. The thunderous roar of "Dies Irae" haunted me for the rest of the night as I walked back home to rest.....


No comments: