Berlin Nights on Bike

Two weeks in Berlin made me fell in love with the city. I think it has the right mix of urban and rural elements that excite the explorer and photographer in me. I saw the city from above -- on top of the TV Tower which is one of the world's tallest towers) or getting drenched in the rain on the Berlin Cathedral's rooftop. I also explored it from a river cruise perspective.
Of course there were the endless walks, subways, and trams. But in the end, I realized that the best way to see Berlin (or most other European cities for that matter) is through bike!
And so, with my tripod slinged across my body, bulky camera bag settled in a basket pouch along with my ever dependable large bottle of Fanta, I spent hours and hours criss-crossing the city and exploring its every nook and cranny. The good thing about being a biker is that you have a special treatment -- we were kings of the road! But the best thing about it is that I could just stop anytime and take all the shots that I want of a particular place. I often get frustrated when I see a potential for a perfect shot but because I'm on board a train or a car I get forever deprived of that moment.

A German friend advised me to explore the city late in the evening till the wee hours of the morning. And so, one night, I woke up at 11PM and decided to set out on a bike. The cool air and the almost empty roads (tourist-free!) made the experience really convenient. It felt great cycling like mad and stopping often to enjoy the dramatic light effects casting on the different monuments and architectural wonders. And what I liked most was the fact that I felt really safe. I didn't feel any danger of being mugged or held-up (or raped, haha!) despite carrying around my DSLR. Hmmm maybe I should do this also in Quezon City or Manila! (what do you think).

It was already 3AM when I headed back to the apartment feeling tired, thirsty and very hungry. But as reviewed the hundreds of shots I got that night.... I slept with a smile of contentment and it seemed that my last thought before I finally dozed off was "may pang Facebook na naman ako!"
Brandenburg Gate

A museum... notice that half of the image is just a water reflection in a small lake.

Reichstag Building

Note the Orb!! A friend told me that I captured a spirit in this photo


No comments: